Five times limit
Monday, 31st December, 2018
By Michael Murphy
Police have renewed calls for motorists to be safe on the roads during the holidays after an unlicensed driver was caught almost five times the legal limit late last week.
Police stopped a Wilcannia man, 43, after they spotted him driving erratically on the Barrier Highway just after midnight on Friday.
They eventually stopped the Kia Carnival driver in Hood Street, and after a roadside breath test, took him back to the station to obtain an official reading.
The driver recorded 0.247 and was charged with high range drink driving. He is scheduled to appear in the Wilcannia Local Court next month.
Police said the man had never held a licence.
NSW Police yesterday said they were pleased overall with a significant decrease in the number of fatalities statewide during Operation Safe Arrival, with 14 less deaths on NSW roads compared to the same period last year.
Six lives were lost during the operation, including a Broken Hill man who was thrown from a ute in South Broken Hill on Thursday night.
Operation Safe Arrival started at midnight on Friday, December 21, and will continue until midnight tomorrow night.
Double demerits are in place over the entire operation for all speeding, mobile phone, seatbelt and motorcycle-helmet offences.
“I’m satisfied this operation is reflecting the strong approach we have taken with more police saturating the roads,” Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy said in a statement.
“I encourage all road users to take extra care in the leadup to the new year, so they arrive safely to enjoy celebrations with family and friends.”
Highway patrol police have issued 15,536 (non-speeding) fines, 9,202 speeding fines, conducted 413,463 breath tests and laid 495 drink driving charges across the state.