24.9°C 03:00 pm

Firies hit the hub

Friday, 12th July, 2019

Firefighters Zel Nejaim and Scott Parker hand out fire safety equipment to Compass Housing’s Tammy Fleming and Emily James for their upcoming safety talks at the 123 Community Hub today. PICTURE: Myles Burt Firefighters Zel Nejaim and Scott Parker hand out fire safety equipment to Compass Housing’s Tammy Fleming and Emily James for their upcoming safety talks at the 123 Community Hub today. PICTURE: Myles Burt

By Myles Burt

Firefighters will be holding fire safety talks at the 123 Community Hub in Creedon Street today.

Hosted by Compass Housing, local firefighters will talk about fire safety around the home, such as smoke alarm locations and fire escape plans.

Station officer Scott Parker said it’s always good to reaffirm fire safety during the winter season, particularly turning off heaters, turning off electric blankets, cleaning lint filters in clothes dryers before use, not overloading power boards, keeping candles away from curtains, putting out candles when leaving the room and to not use LPG containers for cooking or heating indoors.

“We’ve had a couple of occasions where we’ve been called to BBQ and LPG fires recently and we’ve had to deal with that,” SO Parker said.

Community Participation and Tenancy Engagement officer Tammy Fleming said having the fire safety talks at the 123 Community Hub would be very beneficial. 

“Just to give them education on just how harmful fires can be so families look out for each other and do the right thing in the house,” Ms Fleming said.

Ms Fleming said Compass Housing would provide a free barbecue on the day and he hoped the fire truck would be a big hit with local kids.

 

WHAT: Fire safety talks

WHERE: 123 Creedon Street Community Hub

WHEN: Today, 11am - 12:30pm

© Copyright 2019 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658