24.9°C 03:00 pm

Fire fails to stop Daydream

Wednesday, 7th October, 2020

Daydream Mine owners Kevin and Beth White has already bought replacement helmets for tours after their equipment shed burnt down. PICTURE: Myles Burt Daydream Mine owners Kevin and Beth White has already bought replacement helmets for tours after their equipment shed burnt down. PICTURE: Myles Burt

By Myles Burt

The Daydream Mine has bounced back after a shed fire wiped out their stock of helmets and lights.

Daydream Mine owner Beth White said just before tours began Monday morning, a fire broke out in their battery shed at 9.30am.

Ms White assumed the fire was caused after one of the batteries linked to their solar connection setup caught alight.

Ms White said by the time they saw the smoke spilling out of the shed and had rushed over with fire extinguishers, the building was fully consumed by fire.

“Couldn’t save one helmet or one light,” Ms White said.

One hundred and twenty helmets with attached lights, their full stock, was lost in the shed fire.

However, Ms White said she and her husband/co-owner Kevin White quickly bought a pile of white safety helmets and small lights, allowing tours to continue yesterday.

Ms White wished the fire had at least started after two tours had gone so that the shed wasn’t completely filled with tour equipment.

“But it didn’t, it was all sitting there waiting to go,” Ms White said.

The Daydream Mine has been run off its feet with tourists, as Australians, especially those from NSW, have been looking into their own backyards during COVID-19.

© Copyright 2020 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658