24.9°C 03:00 pm

Accused pair denied bail second time

Wednesday, 1st December, 2010

Two people charged with assaulting a tradesman in Creedon Street last week have again been denied bail Two people charged with assaulting a tradesman in Creedon Street last week have again been denied bail

Two people charged with assaulting a tradesman in Creedon Street last week have again been denied bail.

The man suffered cuts and bruises after he was allegedly set upon by three women and a man outside the house that he was working on last Wednesday afternoon.

Police said the incident began when the women started attacking the man's work vehicle with bricks and sticks and that they attacked the 57-year-old when he came outside to see what was going on.

A 25-year-old man is then alleged to have joined in the assault by punching the man in the face.

That man, Steven Johnson, from Wilcannia, was refused bail when he faced the Local Court last Thursday and yesterday he appeared in court and pleaded not guilty to the charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray.

He did not apply for bail and it was formally refused by Magistrate Geoff Dunlevy. Mr Johnson will face the court again on January 25.

Clarissa Crawford (24), of Broken Hill, also faced the court yesterday via video link from the jail but did not enter a plea.

She is charged with destroying or damaging property, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray. 

It is alleged Ms Crawford broke the grill of the victim's Nissan ute and the windscreen or another work vehicle.

She applied for bail but it was opposed by police who told the magistrate that she had been party to an "unprovoked attack" on two workmen and had been before the courts before charged with violent offences.

The police prosecutor said she was also on two good behaviour bonds at the time of the alleged offences. 

Magistrate Dunlevy refused bail, saying the case against her was strong. He said Ms Crawford had been identified promptly by the victim, partly by the injuries he inflicted on her allegedly in self defence.

She will also face the court again on January 25. The two other women charged over the matter were granted bail last week. 

One of them will face the Local Court on December 21 and the other the Wilcannia court on December 22.

© Copyright 2021 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658