24.9°C 03:00 pm

Don't light up your house for Christmas

Monday, 13th December, 2010

From left) Station Officer Scott Parker with firemen Greg Hardy, Tommy Schmidt and “Bernie Cinders” From left) Station Officer Scott Parker with firemen Greg Hardy, Tommy Schmidt and “Bernie Cinders”

Local firefighters are urging locals to check their Christmas lights and ensure that power boards and power points are being used correctly.

Central Fire Station Officer Scott Parker said overloading power boards and power points could cause a house fire.

SO Parker said residents could take some simple precautions to reduce the risk of a fire during the festive season.

"When you plug in the Christmas lights and dust off the fans and portable air conditioners to keep cool over summer, ensure that you have checked all electrical cords and power boards. If they are damaged replace them immediately.

"Ask yourself; is your family worth the time it takes to replace damaged Christmas lights and check your smoke alarms?"

He said that removing dust from a power board and putting it on its side will reduce the risk of dust settling in unused points, which could spark a fire.

In NSW, there were 711 residential fires between December 1, 2009 and January 31, 2010 and 87 people were injured in house fires.

For more information about the use of power boards and other electrical equipment. visit www.fire.nsw.gov.au.

© Copyright 2021 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658