Floods cancel bypass talks
Thursday, 13th January, 2011
By Gina Wilson
A meeting between city representatives and the NSW Minister for Lands to discuss the proposed heavy vehicle bypass has been postponed due toflooding in northern NSW.
The meeting was to have been held in Sydney yesterday.
A local delegation including Mayor Wincen Cuy, Council's general manager Frank Zaknich, deputy mayor Neville Gasmier and a representative of Perilya were to have met Minister Tony Kelly to discuss the multi-million dollar heavy vehiclebypass for Perilya's Bdouble trucks.
The bypass would allow Perilya to move ore from its Potosi mine, north of the city, to its southern operations concentrator without having to use the city's streets.
Minister Kelly invited the delegation to Sydney following a meeting with Councillor Gasmier in December.
But the delegation was informed on Tuesday that the meeting had been cancelled as Minister Kelly, who was now acting Emergency Services Minister, had gone to northern NSW to inspecting flood damage.
Mayor Cuy said it was obvious the meeting had to be cancelled and he did know when it would be rescheduled.
"The Minister has other priorities ... he's very busy with a lot of issues," he said. "We're hopeful (another meeting) is in the nottoo- distant future."
The delegation was also hoping to meet the NSW Treasurer and Minister for Regional Development, Eric Roozendaal.
Their first meeting on the bypass issue took place in Broken Hill last year.