24.9°C 03:00 pm

Fury Road may be rolling back in

Wednesday, 19th January, 2011

Fury Road appears to be making another comeback to Broken Hill.

Kennedy Miller Mitchell, the company behind the big-budget film which has had a few false starts, are looking to secure accommodation later this year.

Broken Hill First National Real Estate has told its casual accommodation providers that the company wants to blanket book accommodation for three months from September.

It's the first contact the makers have had with the city since postponing filming of the $100 million Mad Max sequel in October for 12 months.

After twice pushing back filming in 2010, shooting was to have started on the Mundi Mundi Plain behind Silverton next month.

The makers blamed the vegetation-rich state of the countryside for the delay, which, according to Business Broken Hill, affected about 80 per cent of accommodation providers.

City Council also has plenty invested in the film, which was the catalyst for the transforming the former Central Power Station in Eyre Street into a film studio.

First National's clients have been warned that the bookings dates sought for Fury Road would invariably change, and that it would not see a deposit until at least August.

Before it was postponed last year accommodation providers were told the movie, which will star Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron, would provide an enormous boost to the local economy, in the same way The Lord of the Rings trilogy helped New Zealand.

While there has been speculation the film could be made elsewhere, director George Miller ruled out taking the movie anywhere else.

First National declined to comment about the booking request.

Lyndall Roberts, the Film Broken Hill Project Co-ordinator, said this week that she had received no further information about the movie.

She said the most recent information she had was released last year.

© Copyright 2020 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658