Green light for village
Friday, 18th March, 2011
By Kurtis Eichler
Stage one of the much-anticipated Broken Hill Lifestyle Village on the old Excelsior Oval will begin next month.
Director of Broken Hill Lifestyle Villages, Robert Macdonald, said building company All Steel had been contracted to build the 102 fully self-contained homes, landscaping details were being finalised and signage was being prepared.
"All that is just about ready," he told the BDT yesterday.
"The first stage is very small. It's about six blocks."
The homes will be built by All Steel in Adelaide and transported to the city ready to be placed in the new village for inspection.
Even though the homes will be built interstate, Mr Macdonald said there would a "lot of locals" contracted for jobs such as landscaping and management.
Mr Macdonald said a "whole of lot of civil construction" had to be done to the site which included connecting water and electricity.
Stage two will comprise another 20 homes and stage three will see the addition of a large community hall, he said.
"We see this as a four to six-year project. It will just happen as demand occurs."
The $15 million dollar project will see two and three bedroom single storey homes built, and Mr Macdonald said a number of locals had expressed interest in buying them.
However, he said he was waiting on sale documents for those expressions to be finalised and the houses to be formally put up for sale.
"We're just waiting on the usual sale documents which we've pretty much got."
He said stage one would take between eight and 12 weeks to complete.