24.9°C 03:00 pm

Dryer fire contained

Friday, 25th March, 2011

DIRTY LAUNDRY: Greasy clothes caused a fire in an Argent Street laundromat yesterday morning. DIRTY LAUNDRY: Greasy clothes caused a fire in an Argent Street laundromat yesterday morning.

A laundromat in Argent Street suffered minor damage yesterday morning after a clothes dryer caught fire.

Central Fire Station Officer Sue Collins said the fire was confined to the dryer which crews extinguished in about half an hour with water and a carbon dioxide extinguisher. 

After this the firefighters turned off the power and gas and used a positive pressure ventilator to clear the smoke from the laundromat and the office next door.

"There was minor smoke damage ... crews were quick on the scene," SO Collins said.

She said some firefighters happened to be across the road when they received the triple zero call. 

Twelve crew were on the scene with two fire trucks from the Central Fire Station and one from the South.

"The crew did a good job to get on to it quickly and the person who reported it was very observant," said SO Collins, who added that there was no one in the laundromat when the fire started.

SO Collins said the fire was caused when wet, dirty clothes were put in the dryer which was turned on high.

People should always ensure that clothes were clean when put in the dyer, she said.

"If clothes are greasy or have fats it will heat up quickly ... be sure to use an appropriate detergent," she said.

It was also important to clean the lint filter.

"It is the major cause of fires in dryers," SO Collins said.

© Copyright 2019 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658