Park to reopen
Tuesday, 3rd May, 2011
Work to improve the Duke of Cornwall Park in Blende Street is almost finished and the park will reopen this morning.
The park has received a major makeover with a new irrigation system and new turf at a cost of $85,000.
"Most of the work is complete," said Council's Manager of Infrastructure Paul DeLisio.
Mr DeLisio said there was still some minor work to do such as installing new bins and modifying the shade shelter to improve visibility.
"The turf has come along better than expected ... due to the ideal weather conditions," he said.
"People will be able to enjoy it a lot more than than previously.
"It is a lot more inviting."
The park was established in 1900. In 1945 the Zinc Mine fenced it and added the lawn and tennis courts before handing it back to Council in 1949.
Mr DeLisio said the park was well-used, especially for functions, and now with the new turf it might be used even more.
Council has also received funding to renew the surface of the tennis courts and upgrade the lighting this year.