24.9°C 03:00 pm

Weed fire guts sheds

Monday, 4th July, 2011

ACCIDENT: Two sheds were destroyed after a yard fire got out of control. ACCIDENT: Two sheds were destroyed after a yard fire got out of control.

 A resident who was burning weeds in his yard accidentally destroyed his neighbour’s two sheds after they caught fire on Saturday.

 Police said the Chapple Street man was burning a pile of weeds when the fire got out of control and spread to the sheds that were in an adjacent Murton Street property.

 Emergency services were called to the fire about 3pm but the sheds, one of which was used as a studio by the elderly owners, were completely destroyed.

 A fire brigade spokesman said that firefighters were called back to the property yesterday morning to further douse the smoldering wreckage.

 No-one was injured in the blaze which police said caused about $50,000 damage.

 Police said they were unsure if charges would be laid over the fire.

 

© Copyright 2019 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658