24.9°C 03:00 pm

Smoke alarm saves woman

Tuesday, 5th July, 2011

Firefighters say a smoke alarm helped save a woman’s life after neighbours heard the alarm and rushed to her aid yesterday.

The middle aged resident fell asleep in her Iodide Street home while smoking a cigarette in her living room, according to firefighters.

The cigarette ignited the fire and set the smoke alarms off.

Neighbours rushed to the woman’s aid and helped her get out of the house after hearing the alarms around 4.45pm.

Three fire trucks attended the scene and it took firefighters about ten minutes to extinguish the blaze and another hour and a half to clean up and salvage items afterwards.

The woman was treated by ambulance officers at the scene but did not suffer any smoke inhalation, firefighters said.

The living room was damaged by heat and fire and the rest of the house was extensively damaged by smoke.

Firefighters said the incident served as a timely reminder of the importance of smoke alarms and the dangers posed by cigarette smoking.

 

© Copyright 2019 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658