24.9°C 03:00 pm

House damaged by fire

Monday, 25th July, 2011

A fire that started from a combustion wood heater caused about $30,000 damage to a house in Oxide Street yesterday morning.

Police said a fire burning inside the flued wood heater apparently spread to an internal wall of the wood and iron dwelling.

The owner of the house woke up to find the wall on fire and attempted to put it out with a bucket of water, police said.

He told police he had been “burning off furniture” in the wood heater earlier in the night before going to bed when the fire had died down.

A passing police patrol raised the alarm about 1am after noticing smoke coming from the house, according to police.

They said at the same time a passer-by also noticed the smoke and knocked on the door of the house.

Firefighters arrived shortly after 1am and took about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire which had damaged one room.

 

© Copyright 2019 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658