24.9°C 03:00 pm

Council upbeat on mine haul road

Friday, 30th September, 2011

By Craig Brealey 

City Council had done all the work it could to ensure that the mine haulage road could be built as soon as the money became available, according the city’s mayor.

Mayor Wincen Cuy said Council had already approved Perilya’s development application and was now waiting for the State government to assess Council’s request for funding.

If the funding was approved, everything was set to go, he said.

Council missed out on funding in the recent State budget and an application to the Commonwealth’s Regional Development Australia Fund was also denied. 

However, Clr Cuy said he never expected the haulage road to be a “line item” in the NSW budget and that the application was to be considered by the State Department of Planning and Infrastructure.

“The DA has been approved so Perilya should be able to go forward with confidence,” he said.

“The road is already designated and we are now waiting for the money, so when that comes we will be ready to go.”

Council has also chosen a company to plan the road if and when it gets the money to build it.

At Council’s monthly meeting on Wednesday night, Clr Tom Kennedy said Council should remind the government that the heavy vehicle by-pass was of the “utmost importance” to the city.

It should also be told that Council did not want large, ore-laden trucks going down Eyre and Argent streets, Clr Kennedy said. 

If Council did not receive the funding from government then it could change the designation of the road, he said.

“If all else fails we could look at making it a private haulage road instead of a by-pass,” Clr Kennedy told the meeting.

Perilya needs the road to transport ore from its Potosi pit in the north to its main mine in the south.

Council has committed money to the project and Perilya is to provide Council with in-kind support and funding. 

© Copyright 2021 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658