Monday, 10th October, 2011
By Andrew Robertson
This season’s Barrier District Cricket League final will go to a third weekend, if required, under changes brought in to avoid a third straight result-robbing wash-out.
League chairman Peter Johnston said that adding another weekend should put an end to the “controversial” way finals have been decided in the last two seasons.
Last year North were crowned premiers after rain washed out the best-of-three final and the same thing happened earlier this year when Central won the title by default.
“We should be able to finalise our final over three weekends,” Mr Johnston said.
He said the clubs voted to retain the best-of-three one day games instead of a single one-day final.
In another change to the 2011/2012 season, which gets underway this weekend, the match format of the struggling Under 16s competition has been modified in an effort to make the game more appealing to teenagers.
While the two-day games remain, sides will bat out their 40 overs innings in two halves; each one batting for 20 overs before swapping with the side bowling.
Mr Johnston said the change was in response to concerns teenagers were shunning the game because they did not want to stand in the field for an entire day.
“So the idea is to get them involved with the bat and ball in the one day,” he said.
The Under 16s games will be played at the Alma and Zinc ovals on Saturdays while the Under 14s one-day competition will be played at the Norm Fox oval on Friday nights.
Mr Johnston said concerns remained over whether or not clubs would be able to field full sides in both the Under 14 and Under 16 competition.
He said parents looking to get their children into either grade should contact himself on 80882710 or Denis Watts on 80887404.
He said the invitation extended to senior players new to town.
In another change, Mr Johnston said next weekend’s games will be moved to the Sunday so they do not clash with the Silver City Cup meeting.
The first half of the A Grade season will contain four rounds of 20/20 cricket with the winner becoming eligible to the play in the South Australian Country 20/20 Championship.
North, who won last year’s 20/20 competition, will compete in the Championship this year.
Mr Johnston said the League was also trying to arrange a senior representative game for the season after a proposed game against Prospect Cricket Club from Adelaide fell through.
Meanwhile, the B grade competition will consist of five teams this season after the loss of the Outsiders.
“A full complement of senior umpires should ensure senior games are run efficiently and ensuring that players are not called upon to do ‘duty’ at square leg,” Mr Johnston said.
“Preparations for the Under 14 and Under 16 South Australian Carnivals at the end of the year are well under way although the League is yet to get an Under 16 Coach and would welcome enquiries from anyone willing to assist with the teams travelling to Adelaide.”