Hospital phones still out of service
Friday, 11th November, 2011
The hospital’s phone system was still off-line yesterday after more than 36 hours.
An electrical storm early on Wednesday morning damaged the system leaving the health service with one busy inbound line.
The damage meant staff at the hospital couldn’t make or receive calls.
Chief Executive for the Far West Local Health District, Stuart Riley, said the damaged power rectifier, a part of the internal phone system, was replaced on Wednesday night.
“As a result of these repairs, further damage had been found and work is progressing on restoring these services as soon as possible,” Mr Riley said yesterday.
He said the problem was “beyond our control”.
“The Broken Hill Health Service implemented emergency procedures to maintain internal communications and this worked well.
Mr Riley thanked all Health Service staff for their efforts during the breakdown, and the public for their understanding and patience.