Orchards raided four arrested
Friday, 1st January, 2010
Four foreigners working illegally at a fruit block in Menindee were arrested in a raid by police and immigration officials on Wednesday.
In the early hours of the morning, 25 officers from the Department of Immigration accompanied by 10 NSW police officers swooped on three blocks outside the town, police said yesterday.
They interviewed about 100 foreign nationals from various countries including Korea, India, Malaysia, China, Nepal and France.
Apart from the four arrested, 12 others were given official warnings about breaching their visas, the police said.
The Department of Immigration said an Indian man and two men and a woman from Nepal were arrested after their visas were cancelled for working in breach of their visas.
They have been taken to Adelaide from where they will be deported and their employers in Menindee are still being investigated, the department said.
It said employers should check that everyone they hire has the legal right to work in Australia.
Fines of more than $13,000 and two years' jail apply to individual employers while companies can be fined up to $66,000 for each illegal worker they hire.
In January last year 11 people were deported after they were found working illegally at Menindee and in July a dozen more, from Malaysia, were caught working at a Menindee orchard.