24.9°C 03:00 pm

Hard fought win for Roos

Monday, 14th May, 2012

MARK: South’s Mark Purcell takes a ripper of a mark. MARK: South’s Mark Purcell takes a ripper of a mark.

By Balldock

South overcame a determined West side on Saturday to register a hard fought 18 point win.

The contest was played hard and the aggression displayed by both sides at each contest was a credit to both clubs.

Not much separated both sides all day and it wasn’t until the middle stages of the last term where the Roos kicked clear to eventually claim victory. 

West lost Rose and Withers before the opening bounce and they were replaced by McInnes and Naden, while the Roos went in unchanged.

The game started at a hectic pace with players throwing themselves at every contest.

The Robins were able to use the ball the better in the early stanza and when Martin found space he kicked the game’s opening goal.

The Roos got the quick reply when Corey kicked truly.

The Robins looked the more dangerous going into attack and when Martin kicked his second the Robins looked up and about.

O’Brien, back from injury, was solid early across half back for the Roos and another forward thrust by South’s again saw Corey on the end and he kicked his second to reduce the margin to 2 points.

The Robins were able to again increase the lead when Smith goaled and the Robins had a 8 point lead.

At times the Robins looked like they could bust the game open but the persistent Roos never cracked and when Corey bobbed up and kicked his third for the term the Robins would take a 2 point lead into the first break.

A fantastic opening term with both sides going goal for goal.

The game was still played at a furious pace in the second term with the Robins doing the early attacking, with Smith proving a handful across half forward and when he converted for his second the Robins had a 8 point lead.

When the Roos found their feet in the second term they played some impressive football with the Robins defensive half put under some real pressure, finally they cracked and goals to Lines and Keenan and the Roos had the noses in front by 4 points.

Through the middle stages of the term the contest became very heated with the furious nature of the game finally taking its toll, the Robins settled the quicker and a Pearce goal again had the Robins 2 points up.

With the clock winding down to the half time break the Roos found something extra and two unanswered goals through Boland and Schorn and it would be the Roos who would take a handy 10 point lead into the long break. 

An exciting opening half by both sides with the Robins probably letting themselves down in the closing minutes which enabled the Roos to grab a decisive lead in the context of the match.

The second half again opened with both sides having a real crack at each other. When the Roos went forward they went to Corey and his influence was becoming more prominent when he kicked his fourth and the Roos had opened up a 16 point margin on their opponents.

The contest was now a real contest of defences with the ball racing from end to end and capitalising on your chances was now a priority and the Robins did just that when Dalby and then Kickett kicked concessive goals to reduce the margin to 4 points.

The battle was still alive and the Roos gained some breathing space when Shailes converted and it would enable the Roos to take a 13 point lead into the final change.

For the third time in the game Corey opened the scoring with his fifth for the afternoon and the Roos would have a handy 19 point lead.

The Robins would soon bring the crowd to life when goals to Kickett and McInerney would have the Robins back within 7 points and a nail biter looked on the cards.

As it had been all day the game flowed one way then the other and it was the Roos’ turn to apply the pressure and a goal to Boland had the Roos out by 13 points midway through the final quarter.

Smith gave the Robins faithful some hope with his third to make it a one kick game.

In the dying stages it was the Roos who held their nerve and late goals to Boland and Purcell secured the win to the Roos by 18 points in a entertaining match.

I am reluctant to again mention the Umpires as I did last week as both men ended up in the reserves, but the young fella Turner done a great job, sorry mate.


SOUTH  -  S. O’Brien, M. Westley, M. Purcell, T. Corey, D. Stuart, T.Boland.

WEST  -  D.Milne, C. Smith, J.Blore, C. Pearce, L. Raven, M. Nelson.


SOUTH  -  T. Corey 5, T. Boland 3, S. Lines 1, C. Keenan 1, R. Schorn 1, B. Schailes 1, M. Purcell 1.

WEST  -  C. Smith 3, N. Kickett 2, B. Martin 2, C. Pearce 1, S. Dalby 1, B. McInerney 1.


SOUTH 3.1=19, 7.2=44     9.6=60, 13.7=85, 

WEST 3.3=21, 5.4=34, 7.5=47, 10.7=67


SOUTH    16.12=108, 

WEST     6.5=41

© Copyright 2021 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658