24.9°C 03:00 pm

Alleged burglars face 44 charges

Wednesday, 27th May, 2009

A total of 44 more charges have been laid against two men who were arrested this month for allegedly committing burglaries in the city.

Both were charged about two weeks ago with one count each of breaking into houses and stealing thousands of dollars worth of property. They were also charged with receiving or disposing of stolen property and have been in custody since.

Police said at the time that more charges would be laid and yesterday in the Local Court one of the men, Nicholas Florence (22), was charged with another 14 counts of breaking, entering and stealing, and 14 more counts of receiving or disposing of stolen goods. He was also previously been charged with possessing cannabis and resisting arrest when police executed a search warrant on a house in Patton Street on May 14 and allegedly discovered stolen property valued at more than $35,000. Police have alleged this had come from some of the dozens of houses that were broken into over the previous six weeks. In April alone, more than 50 burglaries were reported to police. All of the break-ins that Florence is charged with took place in South Broken Hill. Most of them were in April but he has also been charged with other burglaries, the earliest of them on December 19 last year. Police have seized a variety of property ranging from alcohol drinks, chocolates and CDs to watches, mobile phones, cameras and television sets. Yesterday Magistrate Chris McRobert refused Florence bail to face the court again on June 23. The other man charged, Lindsay Paul Carlaw (37), also appeared in court yesterday to face a further 16 counts of burglary and receiving or disposing of stolen property. Carlaw was arrested on May 12 for allegedly stealing more than $15,000 worth of property from a house. He was also charged at the time with receiving or disposing of stolen goods to the value of about $5,000. His solicitor, Elizabeth Starlut, sought bail for him yesterday. Ms Starlut told the magistrate that Carlaw's sister, while unable to provide a cash surety, would be able raise the money eventually and that if her brother was released from jail he could live at her house. She said her client could also prove that he owned some of the property that he was alleged to have stolen. But Mr McRobert replied that a "significant quantity" of the stolen property had been identified by the owners and that Carlaw being offered a place to live if he was released on bail was not sufficient reason to free him. "He stays in custody," the magistrate said. Carlaw will face the court again on June 23.

© Copyright 2021 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658