24.9°C 03:00 pm

Caller threatened revenge

Friday, 13th March, 2009

A local man has been charged with allegedly making a dozen threatening phone calls to Melbourne police in relation to the shooting of a teenage boy last year.

Local police said yesterday the 60-year-old man rang the Collingwood police station on 12 separate occasions in January and February and "threatened retribution" over the police shooting of Tyler Cassidy.

Melbourne police shot and killed the 15-year-old at a shopping centre in the northern suburb of Northcote on December 11. According to reports, police had tried to calm the boy, who was armed with knives, then sprayed him with capsicum spray and fired a warning shot. Police reportedly said the youth shouted "Kill me, I'm going to kill you" to four officers before he was gunned down. Victorian Police were forced to defend the shooting amid accusations from the boy's family that they were "trigger happy". The teenager was a member of the nationalist organisation, the Southern Cross Soldiers. Local Area Crime Manager Inspector Paul Smith said in a statement that the Broken Hill man made the calls between January 15 and February 23. He said Victorian detectives travelled to Broken Hill after identifying the offender, who was arrested on Wednesday. "The male was interview in relation to the calls and has been charged with 12 counts of use carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence," he said. He was given bail to appear before the Local Court on April 14. Insp. Smith said he could not confirm whether or not the man was related to Tyler or was a member of the Southern Cross Soldiers. But he said the arrest should serve as a warning to people who use the phone to threaten or harass police or other people, regardless of where they are calling from

© Copyright 2019 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658