Rasp Mine will employ 40 locals
Friday, 29th January, 2010
By Stefan Delatovic
CBH Resources is happy to be pushing ahead with its Rasp Mine, and is confident of employing up to 40 locals. City Council approved surface works at the mine on Wednesday night, marking the end of an 18 month-long approval process. Mine Manager Brendan Baker said yesterday that it was a relief to be able to move forward. Council included some new conditions with the approval, with CBH required to keep them updated on issues affecting the community.
"We're happy with the result," Mr Baker said, "even the amendment for extra reporting." "We already provide that information to other government organisations so we are happy to provide it to Council." Mr Baker said CBH would now start organising the equipment and contracts it needed and then look towards recruitment.
They hope to be up and running by the middle of the year, so Mr Baker said hiring would likely happen in April or May. "Our primary goal is local, we want to run a residential operation," he said. CBH will focus on workers who live in Broken Hill or who left during the recent mining downturn. "We're quite confident we can attract a good workforce in the city."
Mr Baker said concerns about contamination, raised by the community group RACE, had been addressed. The group, Residents Against Contaminated Environments, had called for independent monitoring of the mine site. "Personally I don't feel it's an issue," Mr Baker said. "The monitoring we do, all the results go to the EPA and are reported through them. The analysis is done by an independent laboratory," he said.
"We understand the concerns that have been raised. We believe our processes meet requirements and we will review our operations to see if they can improve and to make sure we are doing best practice."