Green light for new drive-through
Wednesday, 30th January, 2013
By Erica Visser
A new drivethrough and dine-in chicken store will open in the city by the end of the year, if all goes to plan for Jim Hocking.
Mr Hocking's Development Application (DA) for the project was approved by City Council last week after months of setbacks.
The plans for the site, on the corner of Iodide and Argent streets, were interrupted by Perilya's plans for its Potosi trucks to travel through the city.
The trucks will go along the Barrier Highway before turning left at Iodide Street to reach Crystal Street on the way to Perilya's Southern Operations.
Mr Hocking had wanted the drivethrough access to be at Iodide Street, however it will now be at Argent Street.
"It made me change my entire plans, that's why it took so long." he said "It set me back about six months.
"Council have been excellent. It's mainly the plan for the Potosi trucks that had caused the problems."
Mr Hocking said that he was relieved when he was finally given approval for the project on January 22.
He is confident that the delays are behind him and hopes the shop will be up and running by the end of the year.
Mr Hocking demolished the front of the building on the site, but still needs to demolish the remainder.
"The back has to be cleared, then I'm hoping that building can go ahead straight away.
"It should take around six to eight months. I'm ready to open the doors as soon as it's finished."
In addition to the store and the drivethrough, the site will have a 15-space carpark.
Mr Hocking said that there was a market for what he had to sell.
"There's definitely a demand for a chicken store, especially a drivethrough," he said.
"The only other drive-through chicken place is KFC, but they don't sell whole chickens so they aren't really my main competitor.
"I'll also be selling sandwiches and rolls for lunch during the day.
"I'm pretty confident I can offer a good service with competitive prices."
Carrie Oakley, the owner of Hungry Jacks, which is situated next door to the site, said that she was concerned about the location of the drive through.
"I do have a concern for a traffic issue regarding it being very close to the corner," Ms Oakley said.
"It will be the other side of (Hungry Jacks' entrance), next to the fence.
"I voiced my opinion to Council before the DA was approved.
"It's been approved by the (Road and Maritime Services) so there's nothing I can do about it."