Secret talks with movie moguls
Wednesday, 3rd April, 2013
By Erica Visser
City Council has chosen a party to take over the development of the Eyre Street Film Studios.
Council launched the Expressions of Interest (EOIs) for the studios almost a year ago with an expensive marketing campaign.
It received five EOIs that have stayed confidential since August last year.
Mayor Wincen Cuy said that an applicant had been chosen but it would not be named until contracts were signed in the coming months.
"The general manager, the deputy mayor and myself are entering into negotiations with an interested party," Mayor Cuy said.
"We're pretty confident with the arrangement."
Mayor Cuy said that the public would be informed of the decision "as soon as possible."
Former councillor Tom Kennedy described the studios as a "white elephant", but Council remained confident about the multi-million investment, even after it fell through as the set for the Mad Max: Fury Road sequel.
"We believe Broken Hill Studios represents a unique and exciting opportunity," said Council's former GM, Frank Zaknich.
"With the right collaborators the precinct has the potential to become one of the most extraordinary attractions in Australia and Council is determined to identify the best possible partners to make this goal a shared reality."