24.9°C 03:00 pm

Murder accused sent to trial

Wednesday, 10th April, 2013

A man accused of stabbing to death another man with a pair of scissors earlier this year has been committed to stand trial for murder.

Randall Bugmy, 26, allegedly stabbed Roy Johnson in the mouth with the scissors during a fight between them at a house in Creedon Street on February 25.

Yesterday the Local Court heard that the scissors went through Mr Johnson's cheek and struck the back of his mouth, fracturing two cervical vertebrae.

Mr Johnson, who was 25 at the time, was flown to Adelaide in a critical condition.

Mr Bugmy was charged with reckless wounding but that was later upgraded to murder after Mr Johnson died.

Following a committal hearing magistrate Geoff Dunlevy yesterday ordered Mr Bugmy to stand trial for murder in the Supreme Court.

The hearing earlier heard that the incident happened in the company of a number of other people but that no witnesses saw Mr Bugmy with the scissors.

It was also told Mr Bugmy had been set upon by Mr Johnson, a much larger man.

Mr Dunlevy said while self defence would be an area where the accused "will not have a weak argument", a jury would also have to consider the "proportionality of the response".

"I am satisfied that this issue is very much a live one in which a jury should be allowed to make its own decision."

Mr Bugmy, who has been in custody since the incident, did not apply for bail and it was formally refused.

He is expected to be arraigned on June 7.

© Copyright 2019 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658