Council call to back ball
Monday, 29th April, 2013
It cancelled the event only to put it back on and now City Council is urging locals to get behind its Civic Ball by attending.
Nine girls will make their debut at the ball which almost did not go ahead after councillors, looking to cut costs, voted to scrap the event in December.
Following a backlash from parents, some of whom had already paid thousands of dollars in preparation, the ball was resurrected.
Mayor Wincen Cuy said a decision by Old Fashion Favourites and Gallery of Silverton to sponsor the event was very pleasing given the "current climate".
"The Civic Ball is a major event on the city's social calendar and it is a tradition that is and has been shared across a number of generations.
"The young people taking part in this year's ball have shown commitment and enthusiasm throughout the rehearsal process and I invite the community to enjoy this special evening with them," Mayor Cuy said in a statement.
"The community at large are also invited to attend with up to 30 tickets available to the general public.
"This is your chance to support this important social event and keep the tradition alive."
Tickets to the ball are $60 per person and can be purchased at council's administrative centre.