Roadhouse needs jolt
Wednesday, 3rd July, 2013
By Erica Visser
The owner of a multi-million dollar roadhouse project says that interested parties have been more reluctant to sign up than he had hoped.
The Expressions of Interest (EOIs) went out late last year for the planned 24-hour roadhouse, which would be situated on the outskirts of Broken Hill, on the Adelaide Road.
Developer Nick Bobos said that it had taken four years to develop the plan so it was hoped that construction could quickly be underway; pending interest in the project.
At the time, Mr Bobos had already been in discussion with major fuel companies and had slots open for fast food and retail outlets.
But Mr Bobos said yesterday that a delay in responses from potential leasees had put the project back.
“There’s been some discussion on it but it’s just waiting on people to express confirmation,” Mr Bobos said.
“We put a proposal forward and I was hoping more people would’ve come forward by now.
“I thought it would have been done quicker.”
The plan for the roadhouse also included three large sheds for commercial use, cabin-style accommodation and a truck and car wash.
Mr Bobos’ company planned to use one of the sheds and a tyre company committed to the use of another shed last year.
City Council’s proposed haul road was set to compliment the roadhouse, as heavy vehicles could bypass the town but still access the roadhouse.
However, the future of the road is unknown after Council deferred the project following a large debt.