Village reaches next step
Thursday, 14th November, 2013
By Andrew Robertson
Planning is underway for the second stage of a lifestyle village currently under construction in the city’s west.
Five houses now stand on the former Excelsior Oval site which is to become Broken Hill’s latest residential development for retirees.
Adelaide developer Robert McDonald said yesterday the first stage of the project was almost complete, with only curbing and the laying of asphalt to come.
He expects that work to be finished by the end of the year.
“We are seeking to let contacts to finalise the last works for stage one.
“Where possible we have used local contractors.”
Meanwhile, planning was underway for stage two, which would see up to 25 transportable houses arrive on site next year.
Stage three will proceed if there are enough residents sold on the village model which offers modern estate-style living.
The signs are good according to Mr McDonald, who said he was happy with the level of interest shown in the development so far.
“Yes we are. We wouldn’t be planning another 20 homes if we weren’t,” he said.
“There’s a list of people who are interested.
“I’ve always believed there was a demand there.
“The number of people over 65 as a proportion is a bit higher than the national average, and Shorty O’Neil has been full for years.”
Couples are expected to make up the majority of buyers, who will pay over $150,000 to get into a two bedroom house and a weekly maintenance payment of around $100.
Three bedroom houses are also available.
Mr McDonald said his company, which owns over a dozen so-called lifestyle villages in South Australia, would operate the village itself.