24.9°C 03:00 pm

Lost Boy hitches ride home

Friday, 3rd January, 2014

Owner Jeff Kerwitz has been reunited with his pup Boy thanks to the help of the Broken Hill community. Owner Jeff Kerwitz has been reunited with his pup Boy thanks to the help of the Broken Hill community.

By Nick Gibbs

A crew of good Samaritans have helped reunite Boy, the eight-month-old pup left stranded near Broken Hill, with his owners Jeff and Kelly Kerwitz of Rockhampton.

From BH fire fighters acting as dog sitters to a vet putting out the call for help and City Council responding, the local community pulled together to help the dog make the journey back to Queensland just days after he was found on the highway 30km out of town.

“It has been a mission and a half,” Mr Kerwitz told the BDT.

“We have been overwhelmed with how many people have called in from different places offering their help,  

“We really appreciate all the help from Broken Hill and would like to thank everyone involved - the lady that found him on the side of the road, the fire fighters for taking care of him, the local media, the Animal Control Officers, Nigel and Steve the truckies and especially Tabby (Dr Guillaume Tabuteau) for all his help.”

Boy was dropped off at Dr Tabuteau’s Broken Hill Veterinary Clinic after being picked up by a traveller and spending the day at the fire station last Sunday.

“The Broken Hill media was most helpful in putting out the call for help, and to them a sincere thank you,” the vet said.

“It’s always gratifying to see the way Broken Hill people go out of their way to help the less fortunate.

“Some people even offered to give money to help the dog get home.”

BH local Betty Hooper offered a donation after reading about Boy in the BDT and was very pleased to hear he had made it home.

The local Animal Control Officer’s immediate superior was able to offer transport as far as Emerald which is less than 300km from Rockhampton.

“Never let it be said that the Broken Hill City Council Animal Control does not go that extra mile to help reunite pets and owners,” Dr Tabuteau said.

At 8pm on New Year’s Eve a driver for Harris Transport offered to take Boy as far as Moree and at 2am on New Year’s Day the errant pup was buckled into the front seat of a road train by driver Steve Bottom to be reunited with his family.

Mr Kerwitz said that when they were finally reunited, Boy was beside himself with excitement.

“I opened the truck door and as soon as he heard my voice he started crying and barking,” he said.

“I’ll definitely be keeping a close eye on him from now on. We won’t even be leaving the windows down when we stop the car!”

© Copyright 2020 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658