Vinnies robbery disgusting: councillor
Tuesday, 7th January, 2014
By Emily Roberts
St Vincent de Paul volunteers had a nasty surprise yesterday morning when they found their Argent Street centre had been broken into over the weekend.
Centre president Lois Ellis said thieves entered the back of the centre and stole food items.
“We’ve been on holidays but I’ve been coming in ... I came in this morning and I noticed the back door had been broken into,” she said.
“They had broken into the food room and tried the kitchen, but couldn’t get in.
“A lot of non perishable food was taken.”
Mrs Ellis said it was sad to see so much damage.
“It’s disheartening to come in and see that,” she said.
“They’ve done a lot of damage which is going to cost us money.
“They didn’t go into the main centre ... thank heavens. All our security has been upgraded now.”
Police attended the scene straight away, Mrs Ellis said.
“The police were very helpful. They came in and fingerprinted everything,” she said.
“The break-in leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. It is such an awful feeling.”
Mrs Ellis said she couldn’t understand why someone would take from those in need.
“This food, and everything we do, is for the needy. Someone has come in and taken that away from people in need.
“If they were hungry and needed food they could have come to us. We always assist people in need.”
Councillor Christine Adams said it was disgusting to see something like this.
“Any damage diverts funds from their valuable service to unnecessary repair costs,” Clr Adams said.
“It is unbelievable that we have people in our community who target a voluntary organisation that devotes its time to those less fortunate than ourselves.
“If anyone knows anything about this break-in please report it and show the residents of Broken Hill do not condone such behaviour.”