24.9°C 03:00 pm

$5m to fund pool upgrade

Friday, 21st May, 2010

Federal Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government, Anthony Albanese. Federal Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government, Anthony Albanese.

New additions to the Broken Hill Regional Aquatic centre will now go ahead and local jobs will be created with the help of $5 million from the Federal Government.

About 210 people will be employed during construction and another 50 over the long term, according to the Federal Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government, Anthony Albanese, who came to the city yesterday to make the welcome announcement.
There was also the lasting benefit to the community, Mr Albanese said.
City Council has already contributed $5 million to the expansion of the pool.
The extra facilities at the aquatic centre include a new hydrotherapy pool for the elderly and disabled.
City Council's Manager for Infrastructure, Paul DeLisio, said the funding will go towards stages two and three of the pool development project.
Stage two will see the 25 metre pool, which has already had a new ramp installed, receive new plumbing.
Also included is a water playground for children. This will see the toddlers' pool made into water features for children to play in.
A new amenities block, cafe and kiosk will also built to replace the old toilet and canteen, and a new entry system will be built as well as a new function room.
Stage three of the project will facilitate the development of the new hydrotherapy pool which will open to everyone.
City Council had submitted an application for more infrastructure funding to help develop the pool and Mayor Wincen Cuy said yesterday that he was pleasantly surprised to receive the money.
He congratulated the Rudd government for the much-needed funding and said that the previous Council and its administrator, Ken Boyle, also deserved credit for having the new pool built in the first place.
The funding, according to Mr Cuy, showed Broken Hill was still on the map.
"This town isn't lost or forgotten," he said.
He said Council did not know how long it will take to start the building process but the draft plan was out with all the "bells and whistles" accommodated for.
Along with his visit to the pool yesterday, Mr Albanese also inspected the new Mercury Street Storm Water Detention Basin and the Royal Flying Doctor Service base, both of which have previously received funding from the government.

© Copyright 2019 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658