24.9°C 03:00 pm

No satisfaction for Stones’ fan

Thursday, 20th March, 2014

Rolling Stones fan Andrew Wilson took the crushing news that the band had cancelled this weekend’s Adelaide concert better than expected. Rolling Stones fan Andrew Wilson took the crushing news that the band had cancelled this weekend’s Adelaide concert better than expected.

By Erica Visser

You can’t always get what you want, as diehard Rolling Stones fan Andrew Wilson found out yesterday.

The band has postponed its highly-anticipated Australian tour following the death of singer Mick Jagger’s long term partner, 49-year-old designer L’Wren Scott.

Local businessman Andrew Wilson has been a Stones’ fan since he first heard their music as an eight-year-old in the Sixties.

“I was introduced to their music by a teenage girl living next door. She’d come across from South Africa. I’ve been a fan ever since,” he said.

“Back when I had hair on my head and was touring Europe in a Kombi van, the Stones were playing concerts every week but we kept missing them. 

“We had to make do with an old cassette playing in the Kombi.”

He’s since had better luck and has managed to see the Stones in concert three times, and Mick Jagger perform separately once. 

It’s been eight years since the band played in Australia.

With tickets for the latest tour selling out in under a minute last year, Mr Wilson thought he had missed out.

“I was moping around the house for weeks but then my son couldn’t keep it from me anymore. He said,’I’ve got you and mum tickets for Christmas’.”

Along with dozens of other Broken Hill fans, Mr Wilson was gearing up to head to Adelaide for Saturday’s concert at Adelaide Oval.

But yesterday the band announced that the tour would be postponed indefinitely. 

While Mr Wilson was disappointed, he said that most fans would understand that “family comes first.”

“Clearly I was disappointed but you can understand how hard that decision would’ve been for Mick,” he said.

“It’s a tragic circumstance and my sympathy goes out to Mick, Charlie, Ronnie and Keith.”

Mr Wilson said that it could be a “wake up call” for the Adelaide’s accommodation industry, where hotels hiked up prices for the weekend.

“A place that normally has accommodation for $150 a night had it for $340 the night before the concert and $600 for the night of the concert.

“So what would normally cost you less than $300 was almost $1000.”

Meanwhile, fans have been encouraged to hold on to their tickets until new tour dates are announced.

If the rescheduled days aren’t suitable, they are entitled to a refund through organisers, Frontier Touring. 

Mr Wilson said that he was keenly awaiting the announcement.

© Copyright 2019 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658