Unit officially opened
Thursday, 22nd May, 2014
By Erica Visser
Broken Hill’s $6.6 million sub-acute rehabilitation facility was officially declared open yesterday.
NSW Health Minister Jillian Skinner could not attend the occasion, so State MP John Williams opened the unit, situated in the hospital grounds, on her behalf.
“I am delighted to be representing the Health Minister and open this impressive new 10-bed sub-acute rehabilitation facility,” Mr Williams said.
The unit aims to rehabilitate patients to increase their likelihood of being able to return to life in the community.
Chairman of the Far West Local Health District Board, Tom Hynes, said that the unit provided a “very comfortable environment” for rehabilitation.
“There is now no need to spend considerable time in Adelaide or anywhere else to recover,” Mr Hynes said.
Mr Williams congratulated everyone involved in the development of the unit, which was subject to several delays.
“The commitment, enthusiasm and the sheer hard work it takes to build, develop and continue to deliver a new service is to be acknowledged,” he said.
“Your efforts are richly rewarded today in this wonderful new addition to... services in Broken Hill.”
The first patients moved in to the new facility in November last year.