Council sanctions agreement proposal
Friday, 23rd May, 2014
By Erica Visser
City Council will finally submit a secret partnership agreement to be considered by Regional Express at a meeting next week.
Six councillors voted at an extraordinary meeting yesterday to put the proposal to Rex following a war of words between Council General Manager Therese Manns and the airline.
Rex will hold a board meeting on Tuesday next week, where it would consider Council’s proposal.
The company refused to meet with Ms Manns prior to the board meeting, but she will travel to Sydney later on to hear the outcome.
Ms Manns yesterday remained tight-lipped on the proposal.
“We think it’s in the best interests of the community,” she said.
Ms Manns told media she “hoped we can move forward” following Rex’s backlash over Council’s proposed increase to a head tax.
But she said that there was still uncertainty surrounding the security of Broken Hill’s air services.
Last week, Rex labelled Council as “greedy” and threatened to cut back flights.
“Rex have made it very clear this is not just about Broken Hill, they’re reviewing the entire schedule,” Ms Manns said.
Rex had expected a submission from Council at the beginning of May but claimed it had not been forthcoming.
“The Rex board will be compelled to draw its natural conclusion from Council’s silence and make a final decision accordingly,” the airline said.
Mayor Wincen Cuy and councillors Bob Algate, Branko Licul and Jim Nolan were absent from the meeting.