Wednesday, 2nd June, 2010
A local man who was bitten by a white tailed spider three years ago is asking people to be more careful when out in their yards.
John Pope was bitten in October 2007 in his garden. He was wearing overalls and boots and said that he didn't feel it bite him or see it.
But later the pain got worse, he said, and his wife had to wake him up every two hours during the night to apply cream to the sores that had formed on his legs, arms and back.
"It felt like a painful toothache had taken to my body," Mr Pope said.
After trying many different medications, he said the only thing that helped his wounds was a concentrated mixture of water and bleach in his bath tub.
"I just want to make people aware that these things are out there, and there's a lot of others in town who have gone through what I have," Mr Pope said.
He said common surface spray insecticide will kill the spider which is usually found in and around homes.
"One night my wife was about to get into bed and she found a white tail in between the doona and the blanket, but since we've used the surface spray, they haven't been back since."