24.9°C 03:00 pm

Bail refused after alleged stabbing

Wednesday, 10th September, 2014

A man who has spent three months in custody for allegedly stabbing a man through the arm with a knife in Williams Street has again been refused bail.

Twenty-six-year-old Michael Andrew Deen has pleaded not guilty, and in the Local Court yesterday his lawyer, Eric Craney, sought to have him released from jail in Bathurst to enable him to properly prepare his case.

Mr Craney said his client's mother was willing to offer a surety of $500 and that Deen would also obey a curfew and report to police if allowed to return home on bail.

It is alleged he went to the man's home with two accomplices on May 25 and plunged a 30-centimetre knife through his arm when he confronted them in the driveway.

Deen was arrested on June 8 in Broken Hill and was also charged with resisting the police.

Yesterday he told the court via video link from Bathurst jail that he maintained his innocence and further alleged that he had been assaulted by police when they arrested him.

Police opposed bail on the grounds that the charges were very serious and that he had a history of failing to appear in court and breaching court orders.

Magistrate Les Mabbutt refused bail and set the matter down for hearing in November.

Police said they expected to call a dozen witnesses.

© Copyright 2021 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658