Don’t let barbie wreck the party
Monday, 1st December, 2014
To avoid striking any snags this summer, firefighters are encouraging people to be careful with their barbecues.
Station officer Steve Evans from the BH Fire Station said there were some simple precautions to take.
“When using the barbecue, set it up in an area that has been cleared of vegetation, on a level base sheltered from the wind and away from garden sheds and fences,” SO Evans said.
“Have a supply of water close by and, if possible, a fire extinguisher as well.”
RAA insurance statistics show barbecue fires are the biggest cause of summer fire claims in and around the home and many fires could be avoided with simple maintenance and forethought.
RAA Insurance Claims Manager Hayley Cain said over 60 per cent of the fire claims in summer months were for BBQ, electrical appliances or cook-top related incidents and spontaneous combustion.
Top tips include servicing and maintaining the barbecue, following the manufacturer’s instructions, never putting flammable liquid on a barbecue, keeping children away, and turning the gas off from the cylinder.