24.9°C 03:00 pm

Future grim for South headframe

Wednesday, 4th February, 2015

By Erica Visser

A second engineer’s report on the viability of the rapidly-deteriorating South Mine head frame was “not pretty”, according to CBH Chief operating officer Visko Sulicich.

The outlook appeared grim as the new report questioned whether it was too late to save the century-old structure from demolition.

But CBH this week continued discussions with City Council into what can be done, following a $40,000 commitment from the company.

“I haven’t got a definitive answer at the moment. We’re trying to work with a couple of parties to make sure we can retain the structure,” Mr Sulicich said yesterday. 

“The report’s not pretty ... It says the structure is not in good shape.

“But we are working closely with Council and we stand by our commitment. We need to explore a few options to see whether it can be saved and what the cost may be and we’re very keen to explore those options.”

Mr Sulicich said the faltering structure had gone downhill extensively since the first engineers report was received.

“It’s simply deteriorated at an ever-increasing rate since we received the initial report.

“We noticed that which was why we put the hay bales in place.”

The fate of the Number 4 head frame was expected to be finally known by the end of this week.

“I’m expecting this all to come to head in the next few days because we need to move quickly,” Mr Sulicich said.

“Council put some ideas up at our last meeting, we’re all heading down the same pathway.

“The next few days will give us a better idea of where we’re at.”

Mayor Wincen Cuy said he had spoken with Mr Sulicich “on a regular basis” in a bid to “investigate all possibilities”.

The situation comes just days after Broken Hill was included on the National Heritage List.

“Regardless of our heritage status, we are working to try and find a solution. The reports are not encouraging but we’ll be talking to CBH and making a decision fairly soon,” he said.

When asked if action should’ve been taken sooner, Mayor Cuy said that “hindsight is always a very good thing”.

It had previously been estimated that $50,000 would be needed to repair the structure, with Council agreeing to fund the remaining $10,000.

© Copyright 2020 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658