24.9°C 03:00 pm

Winter can be deadly

Friday, 29th May, 2015

Senior firefighter Joseph Leo demonstrates what happens when water is doused on an oil fire. The local firefighters will be displaying this at their open day on Saturday. The day will run from 10am - 2pm and everyone is welcome to attend. Senior firefighter Joseph Leo demonstrates what happens when water is doused on an oil fire. The local firefighters will be displaying this at their open day on Saturday. The day will run from 10am - 2pm and everyone is welcome to attend.

Winter is a dangerous time for firefighters with new research showing that almost half of all house fires start in the kitchen.

Local Station Commander Glen Groves has warned local residents to avoid cooking catastrophes this winter with the message: “keep looking when cooking”.

Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) yearly statistics show that FRNSW firefighters responded to an average of 1230 house fires over winter with around half of those originating in the kitchen.

“As we know, firefighters dread winter because there is always a spike in the number of home fires,” Station Commander Groves said.

“Tragically, these fires are also far more serious and are more likely to result in injuries and deaths.

“People need to be vigilant in the kitchen and throughout their entire home this winter.

“A lot of people seem to adopt the ‘it won’t happen to me’ attitude. The fact is it can.

“We urge people not to be complacent this winter - assess the risks and take the precautions needed to prevent a fire.”

Station Commander Groves said if a fire is started in the kitchen be sure to cover it with a fire blanket.

“Don’t leave cooking unattended and if an oil fire starts - don’t put water on it,” he said.

“Be careful of hot oil that might come out of the pot.”

He said if a fire does start, close the doors to the kitchen and make sure the family is out of the house, then call 000.

Following a few simple steps can reduce the risk of house fires; keeping looking when cooking, turning off heaters and electric blankets before leaving home or getting into bed, and keeping everything a metre away from your heater.

Be sure to clean lint filters in the clothes dryer, don’t overload power points, keep candles away from curtains and make sure they are out before leaving the room, and never smoke in bed. 

Also make sure your smoke alarms are in working order.

For more information go to www.fire.nsw.gov.au

© Copyright 2020 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658