Heritage push revived
Wednesday, 23rd December, 2015
By Erica Visser
The mayor says he’s had several “off the record” conversations with the state government over a renewed push to have the Menindee Lakes listed on the international Ramsar treaty.
A Ramsar listing would recognise the site’s environmental value and, it was hoped, provide it with greater protection.
Councillors have pushed to renew the bid to have the lakes added to the list in response to fears over long-term water security.
But Cr Marion Browne said at a meeting last week that the state government didn’t appear to want to support the bid.
“It’s pretty obvious the government isn’t keen on this,” she told fellow councillors.
Earlier this year the person behind an initial push for the listing in 2012, then Regional Development Australia Far West CEO Linda Nadge, said the listing would be a “no brainer”.
Resistance from some Menindee residents had proved a barrier for the listing in the past, Mayor Wincen Cuy said.
“There’s been off the record conversations ... (in 2012) it got to the point where residents in and around Menindee didn’t want the idea.”