24.9°C 03:00 pm

Cool change ‘saved house’

Wednesday, 23rd December, 2015

A change in the weatehr helped firefighters contain the damage to this house in Chapple Lane on Sunday. PICTURE: Emily Roberts A change in the weatehr helped firefighters contain the damage to this house in Chapple Lane on Sunday. PICTURE: Emily Roberts

A house fire on Sunday but it could have been worse but for a cool change according to the fire brigade.

Central Station officer Scott Parker said the fire in Chapple Lane appeared to have started in the air conditioner on the roof.

“It has done a fair bit of damage to the roof but firefighters were able to save half of the house, SO Parker said.

“It was good we had the cool change otherwise it would have been different.”

But SO Parker said the house was now unstable and could not be lived in.

“The extent of the damage was pretty severe,” he said. “We had to pull the ceiling down to attack the fire.

“But our firefighters did a good job.”

SO Parker said occupant of the house raised the alarm.

“She smelt the smoke and went outside and saw the fire.

“She contacted us then she got her pet out of the house and got out herself.

“It can be a very emotional event for anyone, but she has done the right thing and she has house and contents insurance.”

SO Parker said houses had been catching fire across the state for various reasons.

“It could be many things such as the wiring of Christmas lights, extra loads or having the air conditioner running continually,” he said.

“It could be a combination of things.”

Around NSW, firefighters spent the weekend battling more than 40 blazes in hot conditions that look likely to last until Christmas.

© Copyright 2021 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658