24.9°C 03:00 pm

Charger may have sparked fire

Wednesday, 27th April, 2016

Firefighters say a mobile phone charger may have caused a fire that destroyed a shed in Morgan Street yesterday. Firefighters say a mobile phone charger may have caused a fire that destroyed a shed in Morgan Street yesterday.

A blaze that destroyed a brick shed yesterday morning may have started from an overheated mobile phone charger, according to the BH Fire Brigade.

Firefighters arrived at a Morgan Street property shortly before 10am to find the shed in the rear yard well alight, Station Officer Paul Heath said.

A woman who was living in part of the shed had earlier left to attend TAFE, he said, and a man and at least one small child who were inside the house at the time were uninjured.

The man told the BDT that his sister was staying in the shed.

One firefighter received minor burns to his shoulder as a result of the fire and was treated at the fire station before attending the medical centre.    

SO Heath said the blaze appeared to have started from an electrical fault, possibly caused by a pedestal fan left on or a mobile phone charger.

“My last house fire in (Sydney suburb) Concord was because of one of these generic phone chargers purchased from a service station,” he said.

He warned people not leave phone chargers switched on if they are not at home, or leave them charging beside or on a bed if they are sleeping. 

“They can overheat and cause a fire.” 

© Copyright 2019 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658