24.9°C 03:00 pm

Here comes the Boom

Tuesday, 31st May, 2016

Boomerangs’ Michael Kennedy flicks out a pass. PICTURE: Michael Murphy Boomerangs’ Michael Kennedy flicks out a pass. PICTURE: Michael Murphy

By Michael Murphy

The Wilcannia Boomerangs asserted their authority over the Outback Rugby League after outplaying down-river rival Menindee Yabbies in a grand final rematch at the Lamb Oval on Saturday afternoon.

Phillip Hunter starred in the match of the day, scoring a hat-trick of tries in the Boomers’ 20-point victory, his second treble of the season.

The Yabbies came out firing after the first kick-off, and they were rewarded when Neil Mitchell scored the first try of the afternoon at the 11 minute mark.

Malcolm Williams made the conversion to put the Yabbies in front by six points.

But the Boomers then kicked up a gear and demonstrated why they are again a side to be reckoned with this year.

The Yabbies madly defended the following Boomer onslaught, but with a man in the sin bin and a few costly errors, they couldn’t stop a succession of tries by William Jones, Phillip Hunter and Trevor Harris.

The Boomers led 14 to 6 at the break. 

Wilcannia continued to put the pressure on after half-time, and playing coach Michael Kennedy quickly touched one down over the line to extend the lead.

But the Yabbies were not going to lie down without a fight, and Walter Riley found a burst of speed and took a spectacular grab to peg back a try.

Minutes later, and the Yabbies were on the scoreboard again with a John Mitchell try.

The Boomers then stood firm and put the pressure back on the Yabbies. Hunter notched up his second try of the day after finding himself on the end of a Michael Kennedy pass.

Hunter then scored again after a brilliant intercept and kick along the ground allowed him to touch the ball under the big sticks.

Minutes later a Kim Harris try put the match beyond any doubt.

Boomerangs 36 defeated Yabbies 16.

Boomerangs Coach Michael Kennedy said he was happy with the way his boys performed.

“It was a game that we had marked on the calendar - the grand final rematch - so I’m very happy with the win and the way we played today,” Kennedy said after the match.

“We knew it was going to be a tough game, and that’s what it turned out to be, a tough physical game and the boys performed really well.

“We had a tough draw, three tough games first up, so that was a big challenge for us, and we’ve come out with three wins so it’s a good start for the season.

“But there’s a long way to go so hopefully we can keep going and keep improving and be there when it matters most at the end of the year.”

© Copyright 2022 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658