Tree vandalism a sad day for city: Mayor
Thursday, 9th September, 2010
More than 30 trees have been destroyed on the footpath outside Jubilee Oval.
The saplings, planted as part of City Council's Street beautification program and the upgrading of the Jubilee Oval, were cut just above the base.
Mayor Wincen Cuy said yesterday the vandalism had been reported to the police and investigations were continuing.
"This is an extremely sad act of vandalism," Mayor Cuy said.
"It is not a good day for our community when one or two people think they can destroy community assets and not be prosecuted.
"At the end of the day, destroying a community asset means that the cost is borne by the community. It also causes distress to the Council team who invest their time and knowledge in activities that have the potential to beatify our city."
Mayor Cuy encouraged anyone who knows anything about the incident or any other act of vandalism that takes place in the city to let Council know.
Council provides a reward of up to $300 to any individual who provides information leading to the apprehension and successful prosecution of any person for the act of 'vandalism'.
A Council spokesperson said the trees were not snapped off.
"It appears that the trees were cut or sawn off," she said.
Council will be ordering new stocks and replanting trees in coming months.