Fire cause unknown
Thursday, 21st December, 2017
By Myles Burt
It’s not known what caused the fire that ripped through scrub near the RSPCA on Tuesday.
Central Fire Brigade Station Officer Matt Hunter said there had been speculation about the source of the blaze, but nothing was certain at the moment.
“It could’ve been a cigarette butt, it could’ve been a hundred other things as well,” he said.
But SO Hunter did encourage smokers to be more careful about where they discarded cigarette butts, especially with more hot weather to come.
The fire was aided by Tuesday’s hot weather and strong winds picking up to around 50km/h.
Other factors such as the cardboard mulch spread around the area definitely contributed to the fire as well.
However, according to SO Hunter, the scrub fire was contained and proved to be no harm to neighbouring areas.
“No structural damage, no property damage. The RSPCA was never under threat and neither was the railway lines,” he said.
“It was pretty much going to contain itself to that area.”
The fire crews where grateful about the cooperation from Perilya, Consolidated Mining & Civil, Broken Hill City Council and the Silverton CFS.
“Our nearest back-up is two hours away, so any assistance we can get from locals is appreciated.”
The Broken Hill Fire Brigade also encouraged locals to make sure air-conditioning units are checked out by an electrician, and not to overload power points with Christmas decorations or lights.