24.9°C 03:00 pm

Church set to restore grand windows

Saturday, 17th February, 2018

Valerie White of the Wesley Uniting Church before the war memorial windows that will soon be fully restored. PICTURE: Emily Ferguson Valerie White of the Wesley Uniting Church before the war memorial windows that will soon be fully restored. PICTURE: Emily Ferguson

By Emily Ferguson

The Broken Hill Wesley Uniting Church has received a $10,000 grant from the NSW Government’s Community War Memorial Fund to repair two historic stained glass windows. 

The leadlight windows occupy the end window on the right of the pulpit. They were designed by leadlight expert, Mr A. E. Clarkson, in Adelaide and unveiled in 1927 when the church was known as the Methodist Church. 

The windows bear the names of the fallen and those who enlisted in the Great War (1914-1918) on an honour roll. The volunteers were people of the church.

The left-hand side window is devoted to those associated with the Sulphide Street church, while the right-hand window contains the names of those formerly connected with the Blende St church. 

At the top of each window is the Australian Commonwealth Coat of Arms with the words, “Australian Commonwealth Military Forces” and underneath, “The Great War, 1914-1918.” 

Beneath in a floral wreath are the words “Honour to the Brave” and a cross behind the names of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. After that is a full list of names of volunteers from the church and at the very bottom of the window the words, “Lest We Forget.”

Over time the windows have lost their vibrant colour and some cracks and slight puncture holes have appeared. 

Valerie White, volunteer secretary treasurer, and Jillian Fox from the property committee made the decision to submit an application on behalf of the church council. 

The application was submitted in November last year, and this week the church was informed that it had been successful. 

© Copyright 2020 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658