24.9°C 03:00 pm

Fire house finally gets demo job

Saturday, 28th April, 2018

Jim Hinton gets to work with a bobcat to dispose of what is left of the house’s burnt remains. PICTURE: Myles Burt Jim Hinton gets to work with a bobcat to dispose of what is left of the house’s burnt remains. PICTURE: Myles Burt

By Myles Burt

The burnt remains of a house on Mercury Street is finally undergoing demolition after months of asbestos and debris issues for neighbours.

Hinton Earthworks owner Jim Hinton said the demolition will go on for three to four days.

Mr Hinton said the premises was entirely free of asbestos after the owner presented a certificate showing the asbestos had been removed.

“He said they took the asbestos down, vacuumed where all the asbestos was and it’s pretty safe,” Mr Hinton said.

During the demolition process, Mr Hinton said the fire had definitely raged through the residence with nothing being left to salvage.

“The iron melted,” he said. “The clothes are still in there, the CDs, their video recorders and whatever else they had in there.”

After speaking to one of the neighbours, Mr Hinton said he was happy about the demolition finally happening.

They had been worried about asbestos issues and debris flying around in bad weather.

Mr Hinton said the demolition would be a simple process.

© Copyright 2021 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658