24.9°C 03:00 pm

Fire razes house in Duff Street

Saturday, 12th May, 2018

A house in Duff Street that caught fire on Thursday night. PICTURE: Myles Burt A house in Duff Street that caught fire on Thursday night. PICTURE: Myles Burt

By Myles Burt

A fire razed a house in Duff Street on Thursday night, causing major damage to the property.

Fire Brigade Station Officer Don Peters reviewed the structure yesterday morning and said it was unlikely the family that lived there would be able to salvage it.

“It has to be assessed by an insurance company, but from our perspective we think it’s going to be a total loss,” SO Peters said.

He said based on reports of the attending fire crew, the blaze started in the roof space around the chimney, and then spread across the ceiling until it collapsed in the lounge room.

SO Peters said it took the owners a while to detect the fire due to its ignition in the roof.

“We think it was just totally the chimney from the wood fire,” he said.

“So it took a while for them to realise that they had a fire.

“People were home and there were quite a few animals in there as well.”

The owners were looking to salvage some personal possessions yesterday morning from a few rooms left undamaged, SO Peters said.

The outside of the house appears intact, but there’ s a lot of damage inside, especially smoke damage, he said.

“It doesn’t take much to ruin everything. The smoke just goes through everything,” he said.

“You never get rid of the smell.”

With this being the first fire since the temperature has dropped this year, SO Peters reminded locals to take care of fireplaces, inspect chimneys and make sure smoke alarms work.

“We expect this sort of thing is going to happen with wood fires and electric fires,” he said.

“All the classic fire hazards start in winter.”

© Copyright 2021 Barrier Daily Truth, All Rights Reserved. ABN: 38 684 603 658