Plaza fills with smoke as deep fryer burns
Wednesday, 30th May, 2018
By By Myles Burt
Emergency services where in full swing yesterday morning after a deep fryer caught alight in Cafe Kona at the Westside Plaza.
The fire was extinguished by two employees but posed a smoke risk to staff and the public, according to Fire SO Dean Stisleet.
“It just produced large volumes of smoke so the centre management evacuated approximately 70 to 100 people,” he said.
“We just kept them out so we could use some electric fans and the air conditioning system to ventilate the smoke.”
Firefighters went in to isolate the deep fryer and clean up a small fat spill with the help of Centro Westside Management, who according to SO Stisleet, were very helpful with their cooperation.
Ambulances treated two female employees that suffered from smoke inhalation, with one being transferred to hospital for further observation.
“But they’re fine, there’s no burns, it’s just smoke inhalation,” said SO Stisleet.
Cafe Kona was shut for the day with the Plaza still open for business as usual.